Saturday, October 14, 2006

Nominations for November and December films

I know that many of us have just begun to see the film noir selections for this month, but we do need to start thinking about our film selections for November and December. I've decided to run nominations and voting for two months at a time, so we aren't constantly voting on movies, but can plan our film viewing and renting. So here are our themes for the next two months.

November's theme is Buddy films. Now the buddy film is more a movie category than a genre. Buddy films often cross genres. They are many times comedies, but not always. The hallmark of a buddy film is the focus on more than one (often two, but occasionally more) protagonist or main character, and a focus on the nature of friendship between the main characters. Some examples of Buddy films include Thelma and Louise, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Lethal Weapon, Stand By Me, The Blues Brothers, Beverly Hills Cop, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, any of the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies, etc.

December's theme is Musicals. For our purposes, a musical is a film that incorporates songs sung by the characters that are incorporated into the narrative and advance the plot and/or character development. Many film historians consider the 1930s through the 50s to be the golden age of the musical, but there have been many successful musicals made recently such as Chicago, Moulin Rouge, The Producers and Rent.

So, we're going to be taking nominations in both categories for the next week. Please nominate no more than two films for each category in a comment to this post. Nominations will be collected through next Saturday, ending at Midnight PST. Then we'll vote during the last week in October.

ETA: Here are the Nominations so far (Wednesday morning). Feel free to second any of the nominations as part of your nomination if you wish. Seconded films will make it into our final vote, just like last time. So if you see a great film and you can't think of two new nominations, second it and make sure it makes it to our vote!

Buddy films:
Seconded films which will make the vote:
Some Like it Hot
Shanghai Noon
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou
Fried Green Tomatoes
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Thelma and Louise
The Odd Couple
Nominated films waiting to be seconded:
Rushmore
Rush Hour
About a Boy
Wedding Crashers
Muriel's Wedding
The Frisco Kid
The Colour Purple
All the President's Men
Midnight Run
His Girl Friday
Withnail and I
Twins
Dumb and Dumber
Steel Magnolias
How to Make and American Quilt
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Spy Game
New Nominations?

Musicals:
Seconded films that make the vote:
Funny Face
Westside Story
Rocky Horror Picture Show
White Christmas
Moulin Rouge
Newsies
Singing in the Rain
My Fair Lady
South Pacific
Nominated Films Waiting for a second:
Cabaret
Pajama Game
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Purple Rain
Gypsy
A Star is Born
Meet me in St. Louis
Music Man
Kiss me Kate
Showboat
Little Shop of Horrors
Camelot
Reefer Madness: the Musical
The Young Girls of Rochfort
Damn Yankees
Wizard of Oz
Grease
Oklahoma
New Nominations?

24 comments:

Leah said...

My buddy film nominations are:

Rushmore directed by Wes Anderson

and

Some like it hot by Billy Wilder

In musicals I nominate:
Little Shop of Horrors and

Funny Face (Audrey Hepburn & Fred Astair)

I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

starrypurplehaze said...

I'm not sure about buddy films...but I'd like to nominate The Music Man and Kiss Me, Kate as our musicals. :)

LaVerna said...

for buddy films I nominate Muriel's Wedding and Shanghai Noon.
For musicals I nominate Moulin Rouge!(my favorite of all time)and Meet me in St Louis with Judy Garland(is that the name of it?)

teabird said...

Buddy film: The Big Lebowski

Musical:
Funny Face

Unknown said...

For buddy films, how about:

- My all time favorite, "O Brother Where Art Thou?" It's bona fide. LOL!

- And let's not forget "Fried Green Tomatoes" which has two sets of buddies.


As for musicals:
- I second the nomination for "West Side Story"

- For my second I'm nominating "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"! *ducks and covers*

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to think more about buddy films before making my nominations for those.

As for musicals, I nominate:

Gypsy with Natalie Wood
and
A Star is Born with Judy Garland

Donyale said...

I'm thinking for Buddy films how about

The Colour Purple and
All the Presidents Men

Saun said...

For buddy films:

The Wedding Crashers (Luke Wilson & Vince Vaughn)
Coming To America (Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall)



For musicals:

Purple Rain (Prince)
Funny Face (Audrey Hepburn)

Dena said...

Buddy Films
Midnight Run
His Girl Friday

Musicals
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Erin Gratz said...

My nominations:

I am having a hard time coming up with "buddy flicks..."

For musicals:

Cabaret (Bob Fosse did the choreography, Liza Minnelli stars)
and
Pajama Game (Doris Day as leading lady. And again Bob Fosse does choreography.)

I have a thing for Fosse's work, and maybe even more so this week as I just saw Molly Ringwald star in Sweet Charity (also Fosse). :)

I realize that I'm only allowed two but a hear hear for the White Christmas nomination! One of my all time favorites!

Jennifer said...

Buddy Films:

I second Shanghai Noon
and nominate Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Musicals:
Camelot
Singing in the Rain

Manda said...

Buddy films:

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Withnail & I

Musicals:

Moulin Rouge
My Fair Lady

amy said...

Buddy Film:
Twins
Dumb & Dumber

Musicals:
Newsies
Reefer Madness: The Musical

Vera said...

Buddy Film--I second the Big Lebowski.

Muscial--I second Moulin Rouge.

Ella said...

Buddy film: Thelma and Louise (the only one I can think of right now)

Musical: I second West Side Story and Singing in the Rain

Jeanne said...

Buddy Films: Steel Magnolias and How to Make an American Quilt.

Musicals: Ummm...I'll have to come back to this one.

Amy Boogie said...

Buddy film
nomination: "The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the desert"
Second: "The Color Purple"

Musicals:
Nomination: "Wizard of Oz"
Second: "Rocky Horror"

Tara said...

I'm a bit stuffy and can't think of any original movies, so I'll second some! The Big Lebowski, Butch Cassidy, Newsies and, because I've never seen it (!) Rocky Horror Picture.

Cat said...

For musicals Singing in the Rain and Grease.

Nana Sadie said...

OK..love Thelma & Louise, will watch it even if not chosen!
And how about one of those vintage musicals for a traditional Dec - like White Christmas?

Nana Sadie said...

oh...and I'll jump in again with Fried Green Tomatoes, Singing in the Rain, South Pacific, Oklahoma...
:)

K8 said...

Buddy Films - I nominate Spy Game and The Sting

Musicals - I nominate My Fair Lady

Unknown said...

For Buddy Films:

About a Boy
The Colour Purple

For Musicals:

Music Man
Singing In the Rain

Lana said...

Buddy Films: Martin & Lewis in Pardners
O Brother Where Art Thou
Musicals: Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
White Christmas